This is a great summer salad. It can be made quickly if you have all the ingredients on hand. Keep a can of chunk light tuna in water on hand in the refrigerator. I buy the fresh green beans already cleaned and cut in bags at the store and can be simply cooked in the microwave in minutes. I also cook two red potatoes quickly in the microwave . I have taken several recipes and compiled my own healthy version of Tuna Nicoise.
- two new potatoes quartered
- 3 Roma plum tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 2 red beets sliced (optional)
- 1 (6 ounce) can of chunk light tuna in water
- 1/2 pound cooked green beans
- 1/2 pound mixed salad greens
- 1 cup lemon vinaigrette (recipe included)
- Cook green beans and potatoes, tender but still firm. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl combine cooked potatoes, green beans, parsley, onions, tuna and lemon vinaigrette.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Place greens in a large wooden bowl and spoon the potato, green beans, tuna and onion mixture on top.
- Garnish with tomatoes, beets and capers.
Lemon vinaigrette is a wonderful dressing that should always be available in your frigerator to add to fish, vegetables and salads.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Whisk all ingredients in bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)
Compiled by looking at various recipes and developed by Linda Michaelis RD,MS